Nikwax Down Wash Direct
The easy to use, safe, high performance technical cleaner for hydrophobic and regular down filled clothing and gear.
Nikwax Down Wash Direct has been specifically designed and optimized for down filled gear. It is a highly effective cleaner which removes body oils and dirt from both the fabric and the down fill. It also restores the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) of both the outer fabric and the down. This protects against rain and condensation, preventing the item from wetting out and maintaining the natural insulating properties of down. Additionally it revives breathability, allowing moisture vapour to pass through the item, optimizing performance in cold and damp conditions.
Nikwax Down Wash Direct prolongs the effective life of your down gear. It is the safe way to thoroughly clean your down clothing and equipment. Application in a washing machine is quick, easy, and ensures that the whole item is thoroughly cleaned.
Sleeping bags and very large jackets are best hand washed in a bath or equivalent and then spin dried in a washing machine.
Use neat Down Wash Direct to treat stubborn stains before washing. Remove all non-washable parts. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions. Do not use conventional detergents.
Machine Wash (for down clothing only):
- Use a front-loading washing machine only.
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum 2 items in washing machine.
- Add 100 ml.
- Wash according to care label, preferably on low setting and slow spin.
- After the washing cycle has finished run multiple spin cycles, each time incrementally increasing the spin speed, to remove excess water.
Hand Wash (use gloves):
- Add 100 ml to 12-15 L of hand-hot water.
- Immerse item and agitate to mix, ensuring complete wetting.
- Leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
- Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear.
- To remove excess water transfer item(s) to a washing machine and run multiple spin cycles, each time incrementally increasing the spin speed.
(Hand wash sleeping bags or wash in a professional machine).
If you intend to re-waterproof the washed item there is no need to dry it first.
To get the maximum amount of water out of your down it’s best to spin dry multiple times, each time incrementally increasing the speed of the spin cycle. Wet down is heavy, so if items are spun too quickly while still holding a large amount of water it is possible that internal baffles may be broken.
Tumble drying is recommended (if care label allows) to ensure that the down is dried thoroughly and as quickly as possible. Leaving down wet or damp can ruin it completely. Tumble dry according to manufacturer’s instructions on a low setting until clumps have disappeared. Ensure that there is sufficient room in the tumble drier to house the item once dry, as items will return to their original size during the drying process.
Teasing apart clumps repeatedly during drying process will help restore loft to the down.
After tumble drying it is recommended to air item(s) for at least a day in a warm and dry space, prior to packing away.